Water meters or savings through Rain water collection

Water meters or Savings available through Rain water collection

The whole energy and water conservation debate is being framed as curtailment and the use of water meters. However, there there is no consensus for water meters amongst the Regional Council, because some Councillors believe the large sum of money involved would be better invested in on site storage. Plentiful sunlight and rainwater fall on our houses and it is just a matter of harvesting it.

We drink only 5 per cent of our highly refined drinking water, yet we are paying for the other 95 per cent to be treated to the highest drinking standards, just to flush the toilet, take a shower and do laundry. With dual water systems we can have the best of both options, reducing the water bill and also the demands placed on mains water supply, on wastewater and storm water systems, while keeping treated water for kitchen use. In the case of an earthquake, it would also make us more resilient.

Kapiti District Council has made dual and waste water systems mandatory on new houses. Waitakere City Council subsidies rain water tanks.

Greater Wellington supplies water to 370,000 people and the average customer (including commercial) uses about 400 litres per day. A roof area of 150m2 is capable of capturing an average of nearly 500 litres/day, enough for most of average household use. A 4,000 litres tank can be purchased for as little as$1,200. Waitakere City Council subsidies rain water tanks – http://www.waitakere.govt.nz/AbtCnl/to/suppliers.asp